10 Reasons why you NEED to watch Bates Motel!!

I was fully ready to go to bed about ten minutes ago because I have a bad headache and it's been a long day for me. And also it's almost 5 o'clock in the morning.. I can hear birds tweeting.

However... 

Recently, I've met a couple of people who enjoy Bates Motel as much as I do and I've had the pleasure of being able to get in to very passionate and lengthy conversations with them about it. Other people however, mostly my own friends and family, have not seen the show. And this my friends, is something I just can't allow to continue any longer.


IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN BATES MOTEL, THEN WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?


I'm serious. There are no excuses. And I'm about to give you 10 very simple reasons why you need to watch it.

Before I get started, you can watch the trailer for Season 1 right here:







1. It's based on 'Psycho'.



Yes - Bates Motel uses Robert Bloch's 'Psycho' as the foundation for it's plot and characters. If you don't know who Robert Bloch is, he's the dude who wrote the Psycho book. This went on to inspire Alfred Hitchcock's 1960s film adaptation with the same name and now both of them have gone on to inspire the most amazing show ever.

It's not essential to have read or seen Psycho before watching Bates Motel. I haven't and I'm going to keep it that way; simply because I don't want to ruin it for myself by being able to tell what's going to happen next.

But if you have seen or read Psycho, then why not have a look at what modern producers have done with the most recent adaptation of it? You won't be disappointed I promise!




2. They have given us Freddie Highmore as the lead!! 

Let me just make sure that everybody heard that:

FREDDIE HIGHMORE PLAYS NORMAN BATES

I love Freddie Highmore - I find him wildly attractive, he's a great actor and I can't think of one other person who would be better suited to playing this role.

But what makes it all even more special, is that he starred as the lead in quite a few of my favourite childhood films - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Five Children and It (2004), The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008). I feel like I've grown up with him and I'm sure many of you can remember him in the films I'm about to mention too!

A very young and very cute Freddie plays Charlie in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' (2005)


Freddie goes on to play George in 'The Art of Getting By' (2011)


And after all of that, we get this...



Freddie as Norman Bates in 'Bates Motel' - my favourite tv character ever!!

I mean just look at that smile! He has that ordinary schoolboy look with the most perfect pale blue eyes ever. He's too cute. 

Like even when he's hurt...


And then when he cries in the show..



OMG I CAN'T EVEN DEAL    




3. It is full of surprises and suspense. 

I love shows that keep me on the edge of my seat, desperate to watch the next episode and if you do too, then you can't get much better than Bates Motel. There's always a new plot twist and a surprise around every corner. Without giving too much away, the suspense continually builds up so that once you start watching, you literally cannot stop!



4. Despite all the sinister events, it's actually quite funny!

With characters like Norma Bates and Dylan Massett, the show is sprinkled with a laugh here and there to brighten up the dark undertones.

We get Norma, Norman's erratic mother whose mood has the ability to change in the blink of an eye; and I find it absolutely hilarious. She kills me. Like, even though she's very obviously unstable, I genuinely find her super funny. 

She's passionate, raging and feisty one minute and then she's sensitive, emotional and vulnerable the next. It's hilarious to watch!

   



5. We get Dylan Massett.

Dylan is the hot bad boy. Nothing more needs to be said. Everybody loves a bad boy. He rides motorcycles, he has a gun and he gets sh*t done. It's as simple as that.





6. The way Norman says 'mother' all the time is really funny

You won't get this reference until you watch the show, but it's especially funny when Dylan makes fun of him for it. 






7. Emma Decody is one of the cutest characters you will ever meet

Emma is the definition of a 'nice girl'. Unlike Bradley (the blonde love interest in the show), Emma is sweet, genuine, sincere and motivated. You will love her because there's no reason why you shouldn't. 

Also, she looked beautiful at prom.





8. Norman and his mum have this weird relationship that you can never quite put your finger on. 

I mean, firstly he's called Norma-n and she's called Norma. Not too weird, but it is slightly weird. Then Norman says things like this:




Which just makes you go like this:




9. There are only 2 seasons with 10 episodes each AND it's on Netflix - so if you haven't watched it already, then you're just being extremely lazy.

Even Damon Salvatore agrees with me on this one!

Most TV shows out there have at least 20 episodes for each series. Not this one - there are honestly only 10 episodes for each season and so far there are only two seasons! That's the equivalent of one whole season of a show like 'The Vampire Diaries' or 'Once Upon a Time'.

Season 1 is available for everyone in the UK to watch on Netflix and I'm pretty sure we all have Netflix now, right?



10. You won't be disappointed. 

You might think I'm lying, but I'm not. The first episode will hook it's claws in to you and it won't let go. But the best part is that this is a good thing, because you won't want it to!



So now that I've given you all these fantastic reasons why you should watch it, no more time needs to be wasted!


Off you go! Episode 1 is waiting for you!